Wednesday 16 October 2013

Welsh Quilt Collection



Last week saw Jim and I off to Wales for a couple of days at the caravan. We had a few chores to complete and we struck lucky with the weather as we left Norfolk to high winds and rains and overcast skies. We had about an hour of rain on our first afternoon - Jim was fishing I was at the time sitting indoors reading and stitching, so we weren't bothered; it soon bucked up.

First job was to arrive in Welshpool on the Tuesday to take my new melodeon to have some reeds changed and the layout customised. Rees said it would take him less than two days which made it very convenient. On Thursday we drove up from Crickhowell to Lampeter, lovely little market town north west of us, and over the hills. Lots of hills. Some beautiful scenery on the way.





AT Lampeter we found the Town Hall where the Jen Jones Welsh Quilt Collection is housed. I've wanted to see these quilts for years, and was so pleased Jim was happy to make the fairly long drive to see them. We were fortunate to find that the Kaffe Fassett Exhibition was still running, so we  were treated to a double visual feast - the brightly coloured, modern quilts design by Kaffe were exhibited 'flying' throughout the body of the hall, with the beautiful old, faded Welsh quilts hung on the walls of the room. They complemented each other wonderfully.




The ladies in the shop through which you go to view the quilts were lovely,  very gracious and helpful and so proud of the collection. Jen Jones herself was there and I was able to have a chat. I also bought some pieces of antique quilt pieces, cut from quilts which were beyond reasonable repair; I shall make some more textile collages with them.




                                            The three quilts above are by Kaffe Fassett.










The quilting is exquisite, not all the stitching is tiny, but it is even, which is more important.


                             Jim admiring one particular quilt, the description of which is below.








These wholecloth quilts, which are only part of Jen's entire collection, the rest of which is kept at her home, show the similarity with the later Amish quilts, thought to have been taught by Welsh settlers in North America.









         More of Kaffe's glorious modern quilts, many based on traditional patterns or settings.



    In another room were housed some vintage quilts which were for sale. OH! The temptation!





This was my favourite. Draped casually over a chair, it was the cheapest, at £275. I loved it.



Common sense prevailed! So much to appreciate and enjoy. We spent about an hour in there. Then we popped into a local pub for lunch, rang Rees to get a progress report, and set off across the mountains to Welshpool. It was a long, twisty-turny drive as the road wound round and round the hills and mountains. Eventually we reached Rees's home and my melodeon was ready for me. Rees demonstrated its loveliness by playing me some fantastic blues music - yep, on melodeon! Who'da thunk it! So we made the long journey back down country . That night was extremely windy though we didn't get much rain. The following morning was the most overcast we have experienced at the caravan, though a defiant bit of blue sky was peeping through the cloud. After some general housekeeping we packed up and set off home, running into some really unpleasant weather - we certainly felt the Indian Summer was over and Autumn had well and truly arrived by the time we hit East Anglia.

Now two things, I have some information for anyone who might like to attend the illustrated talk (with quilts) about Vintage Quilts at the Assembly Rooms in Swaffham, on Tuesday 22nd October, 12-2 pm. Tickets £4 from Ceres bookshop in Swaffham. Many thanks to Liz for this information, I'm looking forward to being there.

Secondly apologies for the lateness of this post, and for my absence from blog-reading, I had a very busy week since our return and it isn't getting any quieter! Next post I will show you what the lovely Els - read her blog atfiberrainbow - sent me in exchange for one of my wool pincushions. One day I am sure Els and I will meet up - how good would that be!!

So hope you have enjoyed your virtual trip to the Welsh Quilt Collection, I am going to take my migraine to lie down in a darkened room! Catch you later!

28 comments:

  1. Lovely scenery, lovely quilts - sounds like a good few days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was, Jane, what with 2 days travelling there were just the two days in the 'van, but we made the most of our time as you can see!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely loved is trip, what a great exhibition. Beautiful scenery, I must get to Wales one of these days! Thanks for sharing, hope your migraine is better!
    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wales is beautiful. I have always loved it - family connections of course so many childhood holidays there. Migraine still hanging around but muted now. Hope it goes soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love Kaffe Fassett - the way he puts colours together is mesmerising - and to see him against such a contrast of traditional Welsh quilts must have been a real treat. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your antiquey bits! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sensitively hung, they could have got it so wrong with the very different quilts. Yes, I have lots of ideas for those pieces!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful quilts and with a bit of history attached to some too. Hope the migraine has eased off a bit Lynne, the weather probably hasn't helped it's so oppressive (in my bit of Norfolk anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay, the collection is beautiful, and a real social commentary. Turns out not a migraine but a facial infection - I look like a lopsided chipmunk; and very painful, but am now on antibiotics and analgesia. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. There are some stunning quilts there, the work is so intricate and must have taken weeks to do by hand. The colours of the Kaffe Fassett quilts are wonderful.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me cross, Gill when people dismiss hand-sitched quilts and won't value them accordingly. But they are so lovely seeing them hung together.

      Delete
  6. The more I study quilts the more I realise it isn't just about the pattern of the cloth but also, and often more so, the intricate stitching over things by hand or machine. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Dc, yes, and you can really appreciate the hand quilting on a plain whole cloth quilt.

      Delete
  7. Well I've had a few looks through and can't pick a favourite! Usually one jumps out at me but the quality is brilliant, what a treat! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely, Ada? Worth a visit even if quilts aren't really your 'thing'. Jim was fascinated.

      Delete
  8. oh dear i hope you are feeling better today - my goodness you do see some lovely sights don't you? i love the quilts and i think i would have been tempted to buy the one you liked BUT i know you could make one like it yourself and probably have done!!!!! incidentally i have a cousin called jennifer jones - i wonder how many jj's there are in wales? a bit like john smith i guess!!!! don't worry about being awol just concentrate on having a good time and sounds like you are succeeding!!!! look forward to your next escapades xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynne, thanks for your lovely comment. Face is worse but now being 'attended to' - see my earlier reply. Darned nuisance! I do have the odd quilt knocking about, it is true!

      Delete
  9. how lovely to find you in blogworld, now your newest follower! I gre up in the welsh borders and this scenery is my heart! That Kaffe fassett big pink quilt....ooo divine! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane - thanks so much for popping by - I will check out your blog very soon. My dad's family is from the Welsh Borders and I have a strong affection for Wales. Difficult to pick out an overall favourite - though the vintage patchwork one did steal my heart!

      Delete
  10. Oh what a delicious post, I just want to wrap each and everyone of those quilts around me right now :o) xox Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's exactly what they would have been used for, Penny. Wonderful to see the 'ancient' and modern juxtaposed so beautifully. Lx.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had a good stay. The quilts are excellent.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, Patricia, just a couple of days, but action packed!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful quilts, my favourite has to be the pinky Kaffe one.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bryony, yes, you know I rather like that one as well. I swing between loving the paler, subtler ones and being bowled over by the brightly coloured ones.

      Delete
  13. Hello Dear Lynne, your posts are always filled with interest. I loved the quilt show and was surprised by the blues being played on the melodeon. I learn something new each time I visit.
    I'm very sorry to hear that you suffer from migraines, you poor girl.
    Here's wishing you a fun filled weekend, filled with good friends and good cheer,
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Connie, aren't these quilts gorgeous? Now transpires that it is not migraine - I don't usually suffer with any kind of head aches, to speak of. But an infection which has blown my face up like a hamster on one side! Amusing to look at but unpleasant to experience I can tell you! Thanks for your good wishes. xx

      Delete
  14. I have immensely enjoyed my virtual trip :)

    Lampeter is a good 2 1/2 hours from here but I keep thinking I'd like to make the trip to see th KF quilts alongside the JJ quilts while they're still there. It would make a good if long day out ,if only the weather would perk up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Annie - well worth a visit, you'd love it! I think the KF exhibition runs concurrently until November but not sure exactly when it finishes. Lampeter would certainly bear a longer look if you wanted to make a day of it. (Though you may already be familiar with it, of course.) Lx.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!