Tuesday 6 December 2016

Colouricious!



I know. There's no such word. But there should be! I am feeling quite intoxicated by colour, at the moment. I bought a book called Rainbow Crochet Blankets by Amanda Perkins, and I have truthfully been drooling each time I opened it! Her use of colour is masterful despite the blankets being fairly un-complex (mostly). She uses her own hand-dyed 4-ply yarn though her company The Natural Dye Studio was dissolved in 2015, and you can no longer purchase that yarn. She does, however, give a variety of suitable alternatives in the book. I just can't wait to get cracking on something from within those colour-saturated pages!


However, I shall have to wait a while as I'm hooking away madly trying to finish OCEAN, the blanket I'm making for my son Kit. (It's alright, he sussed out that it was for him, darn it - I was sure he didn't read my Face Book statuses!)


It's coming along nicely, and I am enjoying hooking it, but I'm going to have to put a double border round it in two blues, to balance the colours a little better - at the moment I feel the greens dominate, which is not the effect I was intending.


These pretty little beauties are just two-row grannies hooked from a stash of cotton yarn I found a few weeks ago lurking in the sewing room! It is half Rico Creative Cotton, and half something else which I've no label for, and it splits a bit so not as nice to use as the Rico. But I really love the shades, they remind me of a spring flower garden. I think I need another four then I can join them and make a cushion cover. Hmmm, what to make the back from…..


Another chance to see the two Mine and Jim's Summer House blankets, these are made in a Rico cotton blend too, can't remember the name I'm sorry. They do look lovely draped over the arm chairs down there and we both enjoy wrapping them round our legs as the weather has got colder.


For those of you who haven't seen it before, this is the first of my two Ripple Blankets, made from Lucy Attic 24's pattern. Once you get the hang of rippling it is so soothing to work. I'm wondering now whether I ought to have made Ocean using ripple. Ah well, it works well with the two treble patterns I think.


And last but not least, this gorgeous - though I say it myself - scarf I hooked using some beautiful Noro 4-ply yarn. I just love it. Though I have to confess it is cobbled together from two uneven pieces so it has to be draped in a very artistic fashion so you don't notice the wavy sides!

So as you can see, I am heavily in love with crochet at the moment. That's way it goes with me. I'm all over Facebook with it, and have managed to snare a few people into becoming addicts too. I am spending far too much time reading crochet blogs now and I have discovered the many wonderful crochet podcasts. Don't go there unless you want to develop a very late night watching habit! I hope you've enjoyed the new work and the trip down memory lane with the older stuff. Happy hooking until next time!

6 comments:

  1. I think perhaps you have always had a crochet gene just that it is jumping up demanding to be used at the moment:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did do the crochet thing in the 70's, but had to re-learn how to do it (via you tube!) a few years ago. I have to deal with my enthusiasms but have learned that I should give into them while they last ….! x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work Lynne and I love the scarf! A few months ago I used the Jumbo yarn and made bed size blankets for my two grandkids who are away at college. They loved them. If I don't get a chance to see you on here closed to the date I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thanks! I'm really enjoying my crochet at the moment, hoping to get lots done while it lasts! (I know me!!) I'm not surpassed your grandchildren love their blankets - and they're very hip at the moment too! I doubt I'll get another rblog-post in before Christmas - I maybe wrong there you never know! So indeed, a very Happy Christmas to you and yours as well! Lxx

      Delete
  3. Lynne, there IS such a word as colouricious - I've just seen in the current issue of Be Creative with Wrkbox, advertising textile holidays in India. Www.colouricious.com. Bloomin' cheek, nicking your word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaaa! Well done Edwina! Cheeky so-and-so's! Lxx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!