Wednesday 18 January 2017

Winter Warmers



Brrrrrrr! Actually here in west Norfolk UK we aren't doing too badly with the weather, and today it is dry, no rain sleet or snow, but it is dull dull dull and I am COLD!!!!!!!! So food has been a great cheerer-upper, both the cooking of it and the eating of it. Also I have spent hours with a crochet-hook and yarn in my hands, hooking away like a mad woman. Some stitching too - bizarrely I am making paper-pieced hexagons. Not a lot of music playing, to be honest, just not in the mood for it. I am in the throes of post-Christmas ennui and finding it difficult to do anything which I'm not feeling passionate about at the moment.

So, here we go with some photographs of warming activities.


A wondrous smoked fish risotto. I used the poaching liquid - milk - to cook the rice, a bit unusual I guess for risotto - but it was luscious!


This is a stuffed and roasted pork loin. Well, two pork loins actually. The recipe was one I pinched after we watched the Hairy Bikers Comfort Food episode on television. It's a bit of a faff, and not something to whip up every weekend, bit it was delicious, went a long long way, and really is a bit of a show-stopper. Great for serving up to a bunch of friends!



A stuffing of fresh white breadcrumbs, chopped onion, stem ginger, garlic, eating apple and some of the syrup from the stem ginger jar really sets the very lean tenderloin off. I served it with a sauce made from the pan juices, ginger wine, and cream. No low-fat rubbish in this house!

What's off my hook?


This lovely (though I say it myself!) chevron shawl has been a delight to make. The pattern just tootles along, very relaxing and soothing. I made it with three 50 gram balls of DK  - pretty fine DK . Then I thought no, it will work better as a shawl than a scarf, so hooked another three balls. I love the colours in this variegated yarn, which is Rico Creative Melange DK in Pastel Mix. 

What's ON my hook?



I'm using up all the left-over Stylecraft yarn in my basket - I have a LOT of it! I'm making oodles of these solid granny squares and stitching together not randomly but not too concerned with clashes of colour . It's a great little  "as you go along" project, when you just want to do something un-challenging and you can make a square in no time… they all add up. I've no idea when this will be finished, and I don't really care. 

What's NOT on my hook?

Well, I blush to admit…. after my great enthusiasm to get cracking on the Moorland Blanket from Lucy art  Attic24, that I haven't begun mine yet. I had such a battle doing the tension swatch ; the actual pattern wasn't the problem, but the starts were weird, and I went wrong each time, so my finishes were incorrect too. The middle bits were OK because I fudged it, but I can't start the blanket in this manner, I need to crack the entire pattern first. I note that MANY people have been frogging row after row of the blanket - that's a lot of frogging! So not just me. Lucy assures us that she did too, and that the pattern gets easier as you go on, and I'm sure that's true. But I can't raise the enthusiasm to get going knowing `I am probably going to have to be ripping it out , maybe more than once, before it clicks. I feel very guilty. And I have to say I have NEVER had a problem with any of  Lucy's patterns before, she writes an excellent tutorial. No idea why this one is so difficult.

What's on my sewing table?

Well, I had no intentions of making another quilt. And certainly not a hexagon one. But I caught sight of some of my gorgeous fabric which I had been 'saving' for a special project (unspecified!). And I thought - why am I hanging on to these fabrics? At my age I need to be using it up! And stitching away at a few hexies really appealed, you can do a few , or work at the different stages, cutting paper templates, cutting fabric shapes, stitching a few together….. and so on. Very undemanding I guess. So the fabric I picked up was the Kaffe Fasset collection, and my even older Liberty Lawns collection which I've had knocking about for about 25 years. I've supplemented these fabrics with others of similar pattern. It was so liberating cutting into them!




I had a small amount of the bright roses fabric so cut six hexies from this, and made six granny's flower garden blocks. However, I didn't want that to be the dominant pattern in the quilt, so have softened the effect by attempting a random colour-wash effect around the granny patches. NO IDEA how this will pan-out, as I have no plan. But using these gorgeous fabrics is such a joy, it is really warming me up!

Working in these projects has brought lots of colour into my daily life, which is something I crave. Now I just need to find a sudden passion for exercise and I might feel a bit fitter. Until next time!

16 comments:

  1. food looks delicious! especially the fish risotto. Yummy. You are so talented with all of your crafting. Happy new year by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Happy New year to you too, Sol! I am remiss in not posting that on the blog! But it has been and gone now….

      I love to cook, and I love to eat!!! Lxxxx

      Delete
  2. I definitely would not have the energy or patience to do a hex quilt, can't even summon up the enthusiasm for a quilt! All looking good though. The arthritis in my right wrist has been bad for a few months now so to be frank, am getting bored of not being able to do much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO sorry you're having the pain - and inconvenience - of arthritis, one of the things I dread developing. Those of us who "do" stuff are bereft when incapacitated and it must be really awful for you Dc.
      I must say, making a hexie quilt was so far down my "to do" list it was invisible, but the sight of that lovely fabric and the thought that I had collected t and stood a chance of never using it… well, I thought I'm not getting the machine out and stitching blocks together, I'm much more into hand work these days. And it seemed such a contemplative thing to do, just as and when I fancied making a couple of patches. And curiously, it is going a lot faster than I would have thought! Best wishes for some respite when the warmer weather arrives, Dc. Lx

      Delete
  3. Good Morning Lynne, First of all promise me that if and when you ever discover a passion for exercise . . . please, please, please clue me in. I have been working on this for so many years, I've stop counting. About fifteen years ago I did find a pool that was used mainly by older gals like myself (no skinny bikini girls). I started swimming laps and enjoying it, then they closed the pool and put the building up for sale.
    I enjoy paper piecing hexies and I love the way yours are coming together. I'm finding that I am becoming more drawn to works that are not planned. They seem to come together in a much more magical pattern that is so organic compared to precisely placed. I also find that my brain has trouble working that way. It has been conditioned to being organized and set in rows and patterns. I want to break free of this . . . freedom to be carefree and child-like with colors and the placement of them. The same with your granny squares, I love, love ,love all the color and the freedom of placing your blocks in a haphazard fashion . . . it brings the colors to life and makes them dance rather than march in rows.
    Enough about that . . . lets address your menu. How do I get a dinner invitation? Yum! It looks like you are dealing well with the cold weather. Stay warm and enjoy!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, my dear friend! Lovely to hear from you. Yes, this is going quite well and no feelings of guilt if I put it down for a couple of days. And the scrap blanket 0 I thought this would take for ever - it was intended as a real long-term project - but it is racing away! Yes if you are ever in the UK - come for lunch! I'd love to cook for you! Lxxx

      Delete
  4. Good evening Lynne, snap, I am working on some paper hexies as well and I love the fact that I can pick up and sew a few at a time.
    I've got to tell you, I love your chevron throw, the muted colours are gorgeous.
    I like the sound of the rolled pork, a bit of faff every now and again is so worth it.
    I noticed the weather forecast this evening and for once it seems the south of the country is colder than the north. Who would have thought it.
    Stay warm and cosy.
    Best Wishes.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne thanks for popping by! That is exactly why I am loving my hexies - no pressure, and easy to pick up and put down! Yes we are in the middle, weatherwise, but it is dull and likely to remain so for a few days. Do keep warm yourself and keep up the creative stuff! Lx

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynne. I'm wide, wide awake and running out of patience with an over-stimulated brain in a tired body. Then your blog post notification popped into my inbox. What lovely colours! Just what January souls need. You've been so productive, I wouldn't feel guilty about the lack of exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayne - I really, really crave colour when it is dark and murky outside. These fabrics fairly leapt off the shelf at me, they make my mouth water, and even Jim was saying how good they look together! Mostly, I can't raise the energy to feel guilty, but I know I should be a bit (a lot) ore active! Lxx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work! I keep ordering pre cut fabric and wonder who will do the makes? I'll never get it all used up....not enough time left :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda that is EXACTLY what prompted me to cut into this lot and get stitching. I wondered just what on earth I was saving it up for. In the end, if you use up something you really love, you can generally buy more of it if you really feel the need! Get stitching girl!!! L xx

      Delete
  7. HI Lynne. Lovely post. I'm now realising how much I've missed blogging and arrived back on the scene today. I love the look of the pork loin and might just have to have a go. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HURRAH HURRAH HURRAH!!!! SO good to have you back blogging, Patricia, I shall be over directly! DO have a go at the pork loin- but save it for an event - it really will feed the 5 thousand especially when cold! Lx

      Delete
  8. Hello Sweet Lynn, You know me, I love hexies and your fabrics are beautiful . . . I also love things that go together without the worry of sticking to a pattern. It's way more fun doing things randomly, without a rhyme or reason to a plan. I think we crave color more in the winter when there seems to be less outside, but Spring is coming and hopefully lots of color along with it. As for your pork loin . . . if you lived closer I would be dropping by to see if you had any leftovers, LOL It looks very tasty. I'm stitching away just waiting for the snow to melt and the weather to get nice enough to work in the garden . . . I'm very ready to replace Cabin Fever for a good case of Spring Fever :)
    I enjoyed your post so much . . . here's to good health and happiness.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desr Connie - TWO comments from you on this post! Thank you so much for popping back in - and you have very gently reminded me that I have not blogged in a few weeks and need to get a wiggle on and post again soon! Yes Spring is coming and my daly narcissi are peeping above the soil, some primroses and crocus - so cheerful. And the sun has been shining very brightly recently -though we had Storm Doris who blew everything to kingdom come yesterday and last night! I must check your and some other blogs and renew my enthusiasm for blogging. Until then Dear Connie…. speak soon!

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!