Thursday 27 December 2012

Befores and Afters




So, did you have some nice surprises on Christmas morning? This was one of mine. And this was another:



I've had a few little dips into each of them, but am looking forward to having some serious reading time later on. Books always figure prominently among our Christmas and birthday presents in our family.

Apart from a few mince pies, our Chrismas food was largely home made. And somewhat last minute too, as I hadn't been on the mood or in a fit state for preparing much in advance this year.



Here's the before photo of the spiced fruit compote I made for Boxing Day lunch. I forgot to take one when it had finished cooking! And it has all gone now so you'll have to imagine it. Gorgeous meltingly soft fruits bathed in a sauce of the juices, butter, sherry, brown sugar and spices. Yummy!


This is the suasage meat and stuffing pie which I now make every Christmas following my mum's tradition; it was always served to the crowd who were there Christmas evening, for the dancing, the pie, the (home) cooked ham sandwiches and the mince pies and Christmas cake. Sadly we don't have the big family get-togethers of my younger years any more, but some little pieces of the ritual remain.


I was so pleased with this ham, I simmered it first with some herbs, a carrot and onion and celery leaves. Then I removed the rind, scored the fat and made a glaze, studded it with cloves, and roasted it. Timed it just right - more by good luck than anything else! It was quite succulent and has been providing cold cuts since Christmas Eve, and still plenty to go. The stock I made into a veggie and lentil soup, and we have just had the first helping with this:


A wholemeal spelt loaf, freshly made this morning.  Delish! I just fancied some breadmaking today.

Christmas Day we were at Number One son's home and managed to grab a photo or two of our younger granddaughter Morgan who was providing cuddles between courses!


Being a good party-goer I have retained my paper hat, as you can see, though the rest of them have been discarded. Party-poopers!


Can't remember what was entertaining Morgan and Jim so much....I suspect it was the contents of someone's cracker. They were good 'uns!


Even my mum got in on the act! She had a lovely day out and was on top form. I hope you had equally good times over the two days and managed to see something of your extended families. We don't seem to have the huge family 'do's' that we used to years ago, there seemed to be hundreds of us, and despite not having large houses we all managed to find somewhere to sleep, often several branches of the family had journeyed quite some distance to be together - usually by British Rail, which ran on much better oiled wheels AND TO TIME in those days! But enough of looking back, the next Event for most folks will be New Year, so I hope you are all hale and hearty in readiness for it, resisting the Bug, or getting well over it, if, like me, you unfortunately succumbed!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog concerning the silk threads, they definitely sound like something I'd be interested in. If you could email me (there's a link via my blog on the 'About Me' part http://su-livingontheedge.blogspot.co.uk) then I could let you know my address etc.

    All your Christmas food looks lovely :-)

    Thanks again. Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silks about to be bundled up and will post tomorrow, Su, just pleased someone can make use of them!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you looking better Lynne. And what a fun Christmas you clearly have had. May the rest of the twelve days be equally joyful for you and yours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bug -free now (crossing fingers!) And all good wishes to you too! Lx

      Delete
  3. What yummy looking food! Thats a better loaf than in the bakers!
    Best Wishes for the New Yearx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicity, and hope you have a good one also/ Lx

      Delete
  4. Looks like you were all having fun, I love Mark Hearlds work too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ada, yes, probably not as 'clean cut' as say Angie Lewin, but so liovely, and the book is gorgeous...very inspirational! Lx

      Delete
  5. I just bought myself Mark Hearlds book as well!
    And as you know, our festive period was very quiet, neither of us is used to large gatherings and I couldn't cope with them now anyway. But I am an only child with a father who was away most Christmases, can only remember one or two when he was there my whole childhood and up to leaving at 21. And my other half comes from a family with just another brother... no relatives anywhere nearby, no parties.
    And New Year's Eve will pass us by too.... it's another year, so what?
    So from the old curmudgeon.... I wish you all that you wish yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, Maggie, we did just enough this year, I too find too much planning and too many people is just overwhelming. Unless it's a music event! As for NEw Year, I doubt we will even be bothering to stay up...unless there is something worth watching on the box and that is hugley doubtful! For a few years we actually felt a little guilty if we didn't see the New YEar in. As for going anywhere - I can't remember last time we went out at New Year. No, tucked upwarm and quiet at home suits us fine! Lx

      Delete
  6. That ham looks scrummy, Lynne! I miscalculated the cooking time on mine and it fell apart, rather. The turkey crown was a hit, though - moist breat meat for everyone; no-one ever seems to want the dark meat in our household.
    I'm more than halfway through my ritual Christmas Maeve Binchy. Sadly there'll be no more - I've read and and loved every single one.
    Dave gre up to expect a big 'do' on New Year's Eve, having a faher from Edinburgh. On the other hand, it's always been a long, long night I could have done without - until last year: my favourite local session in full swing! I occupy myself playing the fiddle, Dave enjoys the tunes and the ale. Success!
    Hope you have a good one, whatever you're doing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Always a bit hit and miss with the ham, I think. I was worried that roasting it on tiop of simmering might have dried it out but it was just fine. I don't thnk there's anything wrong with a ham falling off the bone!

      I think I might want to stay up New Years Eve if there was to be live music, Jayne, it somehow makes all the differenc, doesn't it? Have a lovely time, whatever you are doing. Lxxx

      Delete
  7. Hi, just found your blog, love the music stuff, I dabble in folk music and morris dancing. I particularly like the molly dancers, but there aren't many down here in Devon. I also do patchwork and textile stuff so we have a lot in common. Not sure if you've sorted out the photos thing but I believe if you keep pictures under a certain size they don't count towards your overall storage limit. I re-size all mine with photoscape, which can be downloaded for free. It is pretty easy to use and you can crop images with it too. Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nina! And welcome, I've just had a very quick look at your blog and will go back and read further back...it does indeed seem we have a lot in common!

      I have sorted the photo thing out by buying more storage but am getting my head round the re-sizing thing also.

      Looking forward to getting to know you better -- love this bloggy thing, I've 'met' some super folks.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Lynne
    Thanks for your heart warming comment on my blog, really appreciate it. I have loved reading and seeing some of the snaps from your Christmas. I too love Mark Herald's work and for me there is nothing better than receiving a lovely book or two! Glad to hear you are bug free and no doubt still enjoying your cheery Christmas and very yummy looking foods xox P
    We normally watch a family movie together on New Years eve and have a yummy take away x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,

      oh it just wouldn't be Christmas (or birthda) without a book or two! I think Jim and I will toast each other/family/friends at midnight and go to bed! Phone calls to family next morning are traditonal, other than that it will be very quiet, and peaceful and that's how I like it these days!

      Have a lovely time yourself and all good wishes for the coming year. Lxxx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!