Thursday 6 December 2012

Unthank Sisters

                                             Ouse Washes Molly Dancers Musicians

STOP PRESS! Not a proper post, but I know lots of you have an interest in folk music and traditional dance, and I'd hate you to miss this!

 Earlier this year the Ouse Washes Mollies took part inthe Ramsay Plough Monday celebrations, and we were joined for part of the day by the lovely Unthank Sisters, Rachel and Becky, and their film crew. The girls were putting together segments for their second film 'A very English Winter', which continues their journey into Englands' customs and dance traditions and winter celebrations. They filmed us dancing outside the pub, just as the light was fading, and interviewed Andrew and Jason our Broom Dance officionados. The rest of us sat at the pub benches not looking to camera, and muttering 'rhubarb, rhubarb', while Jason and Andrew taught the girls how to do the Broom Dance. It was all great fun, they even roped the crew members in!

Now given the very nature of filming, we don't know how much of the film shot ended up on the cutting room floor - although that is a redundant term nowadays - but I'm sure the film will be both entertaining and informative.

You can watch or record it on BBC4 Sunday 16th December at 9pm.

12 comments:

  1. Ought to be ashamed of yourself - going out looking like that! If you have to clean the flue on the range, at least wash your chops before you go out! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will look out for the programme, I'm wondering if they're the group my son was talking about, when he said there is a group who all dress differently,and are known for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouse Washes used to wear very bright, colourful rags and tatters and stripey tights, and black faces. Then Gog-Magogs (Cambridgeshire) came into being and did a similar costume but I THINK with green faces (not sure about this) so Ouse Washes have in the last year or so, tried to subtly change ours as everyone was starting to have the same look. Now we do a kind of Goth Wedding Guest vibe! Cocktails dresses in clashing colours, still some stripey tight and of course the black faces. I actually preferred our original look, but the consensus was that too many newer groups were taking on the 'look' and we wanted to keep it a bit different.

      Delete
  3. My friends husband is one of these kind of dancers, what are they called, opposite to Morris dancers? Do I now get to say I know a famous actress in Norfolk?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ada, the term is Molly Dancing, as opposed to Morris Dancing. They have similarities, but obviously great differences too! Men and women take part, lots of cross-dressing! There is a Molly, the 'fool' role and general spokes-person. Many dancers take part in both traditions, Nick, my music tutor is one such, and he also plays the music too! If you google Ouse Washes Molly Dancers you'll find our website and it gives the history and other fascinating info!

      Famous Actress? ho ho! If you blink you'll miss me! No, it was the dancers they were mainly interested in, and learning the Broom Dance. But you may catch me in my finery aongside Spiers and Boden in April! Watch this space!!

      Delete
  4. I love to hear news of your performing Lynne- how I wish I could play the fiddle! Will be watching that programme, you can bet on it! I went to a loca; gig last weekend by Hank Wangford with his trio- he is usually with the Lost Cowboys, I dont know if you have ever seen them but they are brilliant. The Coal Porters were boked for Feb but have cancelled sadly- they are another great band. I do miss my Cajun days.....

    H.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given up tryng to play Cajun tunes - no-one else round here knows them or is particularly interested so it's a waste of time ........too may other tunes to get my head round! Yes, I'm sure you'll enjoy the programme they were lovely girls, and smashing singers too.Lx

      Delete
  5. How exciting - hope the sound man didn't pick up on Rhubarb Rhubarb! Will watch out for it. You have some wonderful 'costumes' you wear on these occasions. Do you make them or buy them? xCathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine, Cathy - I'm no dress-maker! But some of the other girls make their own - or adapt one's they've bought; some of them are very talented.

      I doubt the sound man caught much - in fact you probably won't see us at all, but we are there in the background! Lx

      Delete
  6. Ooh, thanks for the heads up Lynne :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you wouldn't want to miss it! Lx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!