Friday 30 May 2014

Kaffe Fasset and Open Studios



Last Saturday, saw Susanne and I off on another Textile Jaunt - this time to Norwich Cathedral. First we had a good look round the Biennial Exhibition of the Association of Guilds of Weavers, Dyers and Spinners, which was held in the Hostry and the Norwich School Crypt. Some stunning work here, and we got to chat to one of the weavers demonstrating her work as well. Too many photographs to include them all here, but a few to whet your interest.









After a pleasant lunch in the cafeteria we scuttled upstairs to the Weston Room for the Kaffe Fasset lecture  "Glorious Colour". Kaffe himself did not disappoint, and we all, I think, wanted to take his partner Brandon Maby, home with us, he was such a lovely man; however their slide show left a lot to be desired - a combination of intruding sunlight, and the quality of their slides led to less than optimum viewing. Although if you were a long time fan of Kaffe's work you probably had all the books anyway and had seen the original quilts and source-works. He is certainly a good speaker and we were well entertained for over an hour.






Sue and I were sat with a delightful lady - also called Sue, who, though born and bred in Norfolk, now resides in Thailand where she and her husband  own and run a beautiful hotel. Sue returns frequently to see her mum and her daughter but loves her life out there. Here is a link to her website -  www.thewaterfrontbophut.com Susanne and I have all but books our flights, it sounds so fabulous! Lovely to meet you, Sue and don't forget that airport pick-up!!



We left the Cathedral in a blaze of sunshine and strolled off to check out Open Studios at The Jade Tree in Elm Hill, a very old and interesting part of Norwich. A friend of mine from nursing days until quite recently rented space here designing and making her glass jewellery, sadly I left it too late to come and see you in situ, Bev!



 We did however meet a lovely oil painter and photographer  and chatted for some time in their delightfully cosy upstairs studios. On our way out we stopped to chat to Zoe Green www.weavingspace.com  a weaver and basket maker, who showed Sue the ropes, as it were, of Saori weaving. I had expected that Zoe and I would have one or two friends in common, Aviva, and Nick for example, but had no idea that she would also know my musical, basket weaving friends Rob and Julie King - what a small world Norfolk is to be sure!




We then walked to Pottergate, to find the new wool shop, Norfolk Yarn.  We were made very welcome and had a lovely chat with the owner  Becky - in fact I think I could have been hired on the spot to teach workshops had I been so inclined! I did feel the urge to purchase hundreds of skeins of yarn, but satisfied myself with just a couple.



 Took a few photographs and devoured visually the wonderful colour and textures of the glorious yarns in the shop.





This made us quite peckish so our last port of call was a cream tea in Roots. (have to say the scones were a bit on the dry side, but they were a nice crowd in there.)


So a really lovely day, full of colour and chats and tea and laughs. After a dreadful drive to Susanne's in heavy rain, the sun then came out and the rest of the day was like mid-summer, it was gorgeous.

Sunday I gave Yvonne the afternoon off at our Open Studios and settled down in her "studio" (living and dining room!) with my kindle and some stitching. I had a steady stream of visitors and sold some odds and ends, but had some super conversations. Especially lovely was a visit form Dc - her blog is Frugal in Norfolk. We have been reading and commenting on each other's blogs for some time now and it was great to actually meet up 'in the flesh' as it were! And later on a delightful visit from Gill of Dosie Rosie blog fame, and her friend Chris, we had a great chat and plan to meet up for coffee ...... lunch? in Holt when we can get our heads and diaries together. You know, blogging really does spawn some brilliant introductions, I've met some smashing bloggers in the last two years. You should try it!


29 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful and just my cup of tea - wish I could have joined you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would have been lovely to see you, Jane, and yes it was a great day out.

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I remember Kaffe Fasset from my knitting days. Gorgeous colours in your photographs as always! Yes, t'internet's a wonderful thing, I reckon. I've met so many writers and other artists through their blogs and social networks, some of whom I've then met face-to-face. It shrinks the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been so influential in may spheres, has Kaffe, his eye for colour is amazing. Thanks Jayne, yes, for all our grumbles about the WWW and face book and so on, there are so many positives to be acknowledged - not least being able to keep in touch with folk you see only intermittently! ;) Lxx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a super day out. You seem to get to all the places I'd love to be and I do wish it wasn't so far away. Over the years, Since studying textiles in the 80s I've fallen in and out of love with Kaffe's work and products but I am loving his fabric range for Rowan. It is so lovely to hand stitch and, even the designs I least like, are stunning when cut up and P&Q'd. DD2 is buying me some for my birthday to make a quilt for myself.
    love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about Kaffe, Jo, we all thought the quality of his first fabrics was a bit poor, but he has improved and I just love the way he introduces people to colours they might not have had the courage to use otherwise. And I hope we see your birthday quilt on your blog WHEN it is finished! Lx

      Delete
  4. What a brilliant day out Lynne. I can see what you mean about the slide screen - who on earth would have positioned it there? Still it must have been worth it to hear Kaffe speak about his work - and it looks like he had some fabulous samples with him. Glad to hear you've met up with some lovely people - sounds like you made a whole load of new friends in just one day! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously thinking of stirring up my dearly beloved to make him realise that we need to move further east - of the county, that is. I spend so much time over there and have so many friends there I should LIVE there! (I doubt this is going to happen, but I can dream!)

      Delete
  5. Oh my Lynne, you had some lovely days !!!!
    Those colours ! Great to see good old Kaffe and friend "living" his colours !
    Must have been interesting to hear the master !
    Wow that yarn shop (lovely bright to : good way to show all the colours)
    Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Els, yes, the yarn shop was just lovely, they have recently moved to those premises and it is a lovely space. Kaffe and Brandon were very good, just a shame about the slide show! Lxxx

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful and colourful outing, sounds like you had a perfect day. I dont know how you managed to restrain yourself in the shop, I think my flexible friend would have come out to play! Lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really proud of myself not giving in to y impulses! I have so much "stuff" I can't buy any more until I have used up this lot! (ha!) xx

      Delete
  7. I really need a shop like that nearby... ;-)!!!!
    Looks fantastic... but so do all your other pictures :)
    Love, Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a super shop and I am glad in a way it is 50 miles away or I would be there all the time! xx

      Delete
  8. Beautiful quilts ....made by the men holding them? Everything is just lovely....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made by Kaffe Fasset, Linda, Brandon is a designer and seems to smooth all of life's little rucks and tucks out of the way for Kaffe, but he is not The Main Man! Kaffe is th e designer of these quilts and garments but I think he has other people make them up for him.

      Delete
  9. Love the 'visit' to the open studios in this post and the last one. Your work looks fabulous, and I hope you do really well. The little pockets of Norwich look very inviting.The wool shop has a lovely range, enough to get even me knitting away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicity. You can understand how, not even being a knitter and a very occasional crocheter, I have amassed a collection of yarns just for the pleasure of looking at and handling them! At least now I have begin weaving I will have somewhere to use up all the yarns I have collected! Lx

      Delete
  10. Norwich is indeed a beautiful place isn't it? It's funny but I seem to appreciate it more when I see someone else's photos of streets I actually know quite well!
    I don't know Roots at all, and I'm pretty knowledgeable on coffee shops I thought!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am becoming more and more enamoured of Norwich I have to say; my "jaunts" with Sue are showing me more and more of this lovely city. Roots ... now then I'm not very good on the street map here, but I think we came out of the wool shop and turned right down Pottergate, and Roots was on the street which cuts across it. I THINK! Don't take my word for it! Lx

      Delete
    2. I'll have a wander up that way, I can usually sniff out a coffee shop from quite a distance!! thanks Lynne

      Delete
  11. It was great to meet you Lynne, I will get my post done i promise. Is the Norfolk yarn shop the same as the one in Aylsham Road do you know ?
    Hope to see you again soon.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill - it was really lovely to meet you Gill, and Chris too. We should make arrangements for that meet-up in Holt soon!

      I'm not sure as to the previous address, to be honest, but I do know she had recently moved from her previous premises, so it may well be the one you are thinking about. Lxx

      Delete
  12. I love Norwich but haven't been for years. We're hoping for a few days in Norfolk this summer and looking forward to a trip into the city. Looked like you had a wonderful time Lynne and I love your photos, some fabulous works of art there.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, yes, I am very fond of my adopted county and its capital city (only city!) It was a super day and the weather was just right. I hope you have similar when you come over! Lxx

      Delete
  13. that is what i call an action packed day!!!! sounds like you had a wonderful time and how lovely to meet your blogging friends!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was, Lynne, and I can recommend meeting up with fellow bloggers whnever possible! Lxx

      Delete
  14. What a pity Kaffe's slides didn't match the quality of his talk, but I imagine even with no images at all he would be fascinating to listen to. Looks like a good weekend was had Lynne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Annie, late in replying! Yes, I'm surprised - probably a combination of the sunlight and poor slides. Never mind, we really enjoyed the talk, he is a natural! Lxx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!