Monday 26 May 2014

Open Studios 2014



Welcome to Open Studios 2014. I do hope some of you will be able to pop in and visit us and have a look at the lovely things we've made. I am very fortunate to have been invited by my Stitch and Bitch friend Yvonne Autie to share Open Studio space with her at her home this year. Yvonne has done Open Studios for ten years or so and therefore is an 'old hand' - it has been really great for me to have someone who knows the ropes to lead the way through the application process and setting up.


It is a someone symbiotic relationship for us this year - Yvonne happy to have someone sharing the space as she hasn't had chance to produce her usual amount of silver jewellery or rag rugs, and I am so relieved to have someone do the organising as I have been totally consumed with seeing mum through her hip replacement operation, subsequent re-hab, and sadly through the awful, sad, and exhausting process of moving her into a residential care home. There are many things I haven't finished because I just had to stop 'making' while all this happened, but we think we have a pretty good display, bearing in mind this is Yvonne's home, not a white, studio space!


If you are local and have an Open Studios brochure, we are in the West Norfolk section at number 18. The address is   Derwent House, 24 Church Street, North Creake, Fakenham. NR21 9AD . Do come and see us! I shall be there Wednesday afternoon 28th May   Sunday 1st June all day  and Sunday  8th June all day. We are open 10am until 5pm.


You will see my patchwork quilts - this is called Technicolour Compass and is completely machine stitched and quilted. Some of Yvonne's rug-hooked cushions on the chair.


                                   Some of my - mainly wool and felt - cushions.


                                                 My colour wash cot quilts and throws.


      More quilts - the Birds and Baskets and Sunflower Farm quilts at the back on the window seat.


                                               A couple of vintage linen hangings.


      Yvonne in an article about rug making. She is wearing one of her fabulous collaged waistcoats.


        And here you can see just some of the beautiful sterling silver jewellery Yvonne makes.

So there we have it, I do hope some of you will make it up to see us, and I hope to have the chance to get out and see some other Open Studios too. If any of you have found this blog hoping to see something of my textile jaunt from this  Saturday, it is coming! Photographs as well, but I needed to get this post completed first and life is a little  complicated at the moment!

34 comments:

  1. Lynne, it all looks so colourful and inviting - I'm sure you'll do brilliantly! You have done so well to get it all sorted under your current less than ideal circumstances. Enjoy it if you can. X cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy - pop over if you can! Lxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynne ! My oh my you have a LOT of beautiful stuff together !!!
    I hope lots of people will visit (and buy from) the open studio !
    (so sorry it's a bit far for me ..... otherwise I would have loved to come by !)


    (my little pieces are needle felted on the embellisher-machine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Els - now you just get on that little plane and come and see me! Lxx

      Delete
  3. A wonderful display and I do hope that you both do well. Wish I lived closer to pop in and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to meet and see each other's work close up! It may happen one day.Lxx

      Delete
  4. Such a lot of talent there.....wish I lived closer! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tcha! I don't know, no sense of commitment, some people! Hi Ada, yes I wish you did too - would be great to meet up for coffee! Lxx

      Delete
  5. Hope to be able to visit on Wednesday afternoon.Did the rounds of some of the ones local to us yesterday and ended up spending money again.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill - I will be there, look forward to meeting you. I don't know whether I will get out to many this year, things are a bit hectic. And yes, I know what you mean! Lxx

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping to buy some of your pincushions so please hold onto some if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Dc fret not - I suspect there will be lots on offer! (And I would always make you what ever you wanted and get them to you in the HIGHLY unlikely event of them all being sold overnight!)

      Delete
  7. I wish I could hop on that little plane with Els :-)!
    It all looks so pretty and colourful.... Have fun!
    Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stins - lovely to hear from you again! Yes, wouldn't it be lovely for the two of you to turn up on my doorstep one day! Lxx

      Delete
    2. You wouldn't know what hit you hahaha! But we would have lots of fun, I am very sure of that :)!

      Delete
    3. Gosh it would be wonderful! Lxx

      Delete
  8. sorry i won't be able to visit because it looks so inviting and you have both been so busy!!!! hope it all goes well - loving the bright colours of the quilt!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Lynne - it's the thought that counts! Lxxx

      Delete
  9. I have put the dates in the diary and will try and make my way across to west Norfolk in June. Thanks for your comment on my blog, yes the jousting was spectacular! Have a wonderful week... when it stops raining!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chel - well it would be really great of you could make it across - especially on a date I will be there but no matter if you can't. I thought your photos are brilliant! Lxx

      Delete
  10. Your colour washed quilts and throws are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much_ I expect I shall be bringing them home with me! I love the Noro wool on your blog - I have several balls myself - all bought over time as it is SO expensive isn't it? I want to learn how to knit socks but at the moment it is all on the back burner - too much going on. Watching your progress with interest!! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for leaving me a comment.
    It looks like you may have opened a shop , I'm not sure because of eye problems (and old age, ssshhh ) I cannot read blue print.
    I hope you do well .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a shop, just setting out some things we've made for Open Studios. Met some other Norfolk bloggers today, it was lovely to chat and finally meet up. Lxx

      Delete
  13. If only I lived closer to Norfolk Lynne I would be across in a flash! All your combined wares look fabulous here. I hope yesterday went well, and the rest of the time goes even better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a slow day, but I had some great conversations with visitors - I think that is the joy of OPen Studios really. Lxx

      Delete
  14. Such an impressive display and you should be so proud. I adore the vibrance of your Technicolour Compass quilt. I hope the Open House goes really well as it is an excellent showcase for your craft.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is slow going, Jo, and to be honest I think they really want :ARTISTS" as the entry stake is quite high, and I will need to sell a lot of post cards and pincushions to make it back! Never mind, I get to meet lots of lovely people and it is fun.

      Delete
  15. Oooh I want everything! Your colour wash qulits are just so scrumptiously pretty. I hope when word gets round you will be inundated with customers all wanting something unique. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - I suspect that will not be the case - we are a bit isolated from many of the other textile studios and it has been very quiet so far. But nce to chat to folk who do pop in.

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful display of your fabulous handiwork Lynne. I am so in awe of you and you should be so proud of your achievements. Hope it all goes well for you. I'd have led to come up on the 8th but am on a photography course all day. Perhaps another time maybe. I do empathise with you regarding your mum. It must be such a heart wrenching decision to make but I do believe she will be in the best place with lots of TLC from the staff but moreover from her close family and friends. Take care.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia! It has improved over the weekend - I sold a large quilt and some cushions! Not to worry, there are so many calls on our time aren't there? I have no opportunity to do the Open Studios rounds myself to be honest, first time for years. Never mind - there may be a next time! Yes, mum is OK, had a good visit on Monday and felt much better about her, thanks, just a very wearying time for us all. Lxx

      Delete
  17. Oh Lynne, I love your Technicolor Compass quilt, it's like getting lost in a kaleidoscope. Lucy in the sky . . . it's magnificent. How long did it take you to make it? It would take me a life time.
    I love that you are not afraid of color, Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Connie! Thank you, yes, this is really my Masterpiece - I doubt I will ever make another quilt of this complexity. I made it following a workshop by English quilter/teacher Barbara Barber who made those wonderful applique quilts which included complex piecing. I used the foundation paper piecing for this - would never have attempted the very sharp points any other way - and the colours are my own choice - I was known for my bright colour at that stage in my quilting career! I have paled it down somewhat now!! I worked pretty continuously on this quilt, can't remember how long it took, probably a couple of months. All machine pieced and machine quilted - good grief!! Free machine quilting, yards and yards of quilts through my sewing machine - I would not attempt that now I can tell you!! Lxxxx

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, maybe join in the conversation - I always try and reply if I can.Anonymous spammers take note: you will not be published. Genuine posters having difficulty will be accepted. Thanks so much for visiting!